Our PGCE in Biology gives you practical, school centred training which is tailored to meet each trainee’s development needs.
One-year full time secondary (11-16) PGCE teacher training course
You must have a degree. This should be relevant to the subject you wish to train for and preferably with a minimum of 50% of your degree being in that subject. Your A-Level grades will also be taken into consideration.
It is preferable to have: An Honours Degree at class 1 or 2 and to have had some experience of working with secondary aged young people.
GCSE Maths and English – grade C/Level 4 or above (or equivalent).
Training Bursary available:
£10,000 (1st, 2:1, 2:2, PhD or Masters)
DfE codes: 29SK / 2NKP
How to apply:
You will need to apply online through the Gov.uk Apply service.
Northampton Teacher Training Partnership (NTTP):
OUTSTANDING provider of Secondary ITT (Ofsted 2018)
- OUTSTANDING COURSE COMPLETION RATES – 100% of trainees successfully gained Qualified Teacher Status last year
- 100% OF TRAINEES rated as OUTSTANDING or GOOD teachers last year
- OUTSTANDING EMPLOYMENT RATES – 100% of trainees employed in the last 3 years
- 96% of trainees employed in Local Schools last year
Northampton Teacher Training Partnership (NTTP) works jointly with Northampton School for Boys, an Ofsted ‘Outstanding’ school (Nov 2014) which is the Lead School in our Partnership. NTTP is a long established School Centred Initial Teacher Training (SCITT) provider based on the school site. Following a detailed two-stage Ofsted inspection process in May and November 2018, we have been graded as outstanding in all categories. The vision of our SCITT is to provide high quality teachers to meet the needs of our local schools whether part of our partnership or not. Most of the partnership schools are state secondary schools and some include 6th forms. We work with a full range of schools including those in challenging socio-economic circumstances and those judged as requires improvement. As a result, all our trainees are highly prepared for employment at the end of the training year. For a full list of our current partner schools please see our website.
We offer a one-year full time secondary (11-16) teacher training course so at the end of the training year, trainees with the Partnership will obtain the dual awards of PGCE and QTS if they successfully pass both qualifications. Our current post graduate qualification is validated by Newman University who have an established reputation for producing quality teachers.
We encourage applications from all spheres of the community regardless of age, race, disability, religion and gender. Almost all trainees who successfully achieve both QTS and PGCE gain employment in local schools, which is a huge strength of the partnership.
We provide our trainees with stimulating and relevant professional studies sessions as well as a thorough Induction process and constant professional guidance.
You will have support and guidance from
- A highly trained School Based Tutor
- An experienced Lead Subject Mentor
- The NTTP team
As a trainee, you will always have an experienced teacher on hand to support and guide you. You will have at least three formal observations every week with additional informal feedback in other lessons. Observations will be completed by the class teacher, School Based Tutor or Professional Tutor. Your Lead Subject Mentor and the NTTP Programme Facilitators will observe you at least once during your school placements. Formal observations are daunting at first, but you will soon become used to them. Every observer is trained to observe trainees and will be looking for things you do well and areas where you could improve further.
You can expect:
- A coherent learning experience within the Partnership
- Opportunities to develop as a member of the teaching profession
- Status within school and involvement in aspects of school life
- Access to a variety of practice and teaching experience
- Opportunities to observe and be observed while teaching
- Support from a school based tutor and other staff as necessary
- Quality time and privacy for mentoring
- Support in reviewing the trainee teacher’s progress and in personal action planning
- Access to subject specialists/tutors
- Access to appropriate resources, information and documentation
- Specific training support including support for self-study and school-based research
For further information about the course please visit our website http://www.ntctsa.co.uk/teacher-training-nttp
Telephone: 01604 258662